[SI-LIST] Re: PECL vs LVDS

  • From: Jim G Roberts <jgroberts@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:01:54 +0200

Hi ,
        I am not sure of the questionaires intention but PECL was introduced by
Motorola as a high frequency standardmany years ago when high speed was in the
order of 1ns. It featured a low output impedance to allow for series termination
to reduce power dissipation.
This is not realistic for sub nanosec and a new standard was developed with a
reduced swing and thus power. And a matched impedance output.
    Analogue devices such as optical drivers and receivers still tend to use
these standards whereas IC's are changing over.

For high bitrate [>2GB] with long lines a new standard CML is in vogue. This
sometimes employs pre-emphasis to overcome the skin effects, etc.

--
Regards,    __________   James G Roberts
           /___  ____ |  jrobert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Ingraham, Andrew" wrote:

> > IS PECL used for optical transmission only and LVDS for copper lines?
> >
> > Can PECL be used for Copper ie electrical interface?  need some
> > details on
> > this?
>
> PECL is electrical.  It is not an optical interface.
>
> I have used PECL only for electrical signals where there was no optical
> line involved.  In my case they were for board traces only, not long
> copper lines.
>
> Andy

List archives are viewable at: