[SI-LIST] Re: PEC in 3D field solver?

  • From: <J_Dong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:27:38 -0400

I personally think that the simulation should be accurate as long as the
following issues are clearly considered. It does not matter what tools you
use to simulate the package (assuming the solvers are accurate).

1) The cascaded network's ports should have same/similar modes. For
instance, you have two subsystems optimized as two wave-port networks, the
first one with single mode, and 2nd one with more than one dominant mode.
Cascading those two networks might lead to unexpected system response. Most
hybrid solvers now can take into account multiple modes, but you have to
give it the right ones first in order to see correct results.

2) Even the ports have similar modes. When they are cascaded, the interface
should not generate much unexpected mode. For example, two systems may both
have 50-ohm coaxial outputs, if their diameters are too different from each
other, it could generate considerable amount of high order modes, which may
couple back to your dominant mode resulting high return loss etc. This is
typically true at high frequencies.

3) Impedance vs. modes. When we talking about impedance, normally we are
talking about it for a certain mode. Even the two systems have same
input-output impedance, it does not mean they will always follow the return
loss = (z1-z0)/(z1+z0) at system level. Choosing the right way of
calculating impedance (e.g. v/i, v**2/p, p/i**2) and properly choose the
mode (e.g. avoid cascading diff type of ports like microstrip - stripline)
helps when doing simulation.

4) The impact on system due to cross-talk or mutual coupling between the
subsystems should be negligibly small. Otherwise, your hybrid solver may
give you a prediction that is way-off from reality. Of course, it is a
unnecessary worry if the solver is completely full wave.

Please correct me if something is missing here. Thanks.

Regards,

Junwei Dong
Microwave Engineering Corporation(MEC)