[SI-LIST] PDS sim: why not IFFT?

  • From: John Lipsius <johnlipsius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 02:14:48 -0400

Hello all,
For obtaining a time domain response at IC bumps, V(t), given the current
stimulus I(t) which is already assured to be steady state itself in a
single record, not a repeated concatenation (and is dc suppressed)  ....

1. Convert stimulus I(t) to the freq. domain with FFT, using sufficient
points.  Make sure, with Hilbert's help, it's causal.
2. V(f)  =  Z(f) x I(f).   Z(f) is already on hand from pkg, pcb model
extraction.
3.  Then V(t) =  IFFT{V(f)}.    Look, ma !  No time domain simulation
required.

Please, somebody explain why I never see this in the literature and major
simulator vendors just want to change the subject (for the most part).  Is
this a conspiracy?  :-)

Thanks,
John

List forum  is accessible at: