[SI-LIST] Re: PDS analysis?

  • From: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bowden, Ivor" <ibowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:41:38 -0700

My first disclaimer will be :
YMMV
my second will be :
I still don't have the balls to do single value highspeed ceramic caps but I do
think .1u is a good starting point to go up to 1u and down to .01u or even 1nf
if you have a well designed flip chip package. For a el-cheapo wire bond
package .1u might even be good enough as "external highspeed cap" to begin with.

That said, I have at least two experiences that make me have second thoughts :
1) In one of my large product platforms (big server type machine), during the
first proto stage on the first EMI scan, my board design guy accidentally
generated the wrong BOM and stuff all the highspeed caps that were supposed to
be 1u,0.1uf and 0.01uf spread to a single value 0.1uf. We actually send it
through the EMI scan and it actually pass FCC scan with good margin. And the
system ran through all PVT margin tests. Is it our luck or good enough to begin
with ? I'll let you speculate.
2) In the workstation/server company we came from, on an occasion after we had
a big screaming session with the EMI engineer on our designs, we secretly
rework out all the 10pf,100pf and 100pf caps that she sprinkled on our board
with 1u caps and send it to her to scan. And as expected it passed FCC with
good margin. We lost all our respect of her and probably EMI engineers in
general after that.

Typical IC spec calls out the peak current demand. A more sophisticated one
calls out the peak di/dt. A even more sophisticated one calls out the voltage
tolerance between different frequency bands.
No where does it tell you how it can ramp from zero current to peak during
normal operation.
No where can it tell you if your system architecture can actually pin the I/O
buses or subsystem to maximum activities during normal operation
No where does it tell you your super multi-processors backplane can actually
maintain peak bandwidth on all cluster ports when the per node bandwidth is
choked by say your on board memory bus or real I/O sustain bandwidth on board
No where does it tell you in a typical multi-giga bit SERDES, even if the I/O
is idle, the idle pattern actually draws zero power vs. peak activity
No where does it tell you the bandwidth of your memory refresh cycle and access
activity factor variations

Once again, I won't say with only .1uf will work. But with sensible up and down
values around it, it is a good starting point.

And remember the two Chris Cheng rules of SI
a) Manage your core power distribution with stages from die to package to PCB
with highspeed at die/package and medium/low speed on PCB
b) Manage your I/O return current properly

If you buy the above, PCB decoupling is a matter of 100MHz or below PROVIDED
you manage your return current properly.

Another important point is also related to rule a) is if you believe your
critical PCB distribution responsibility is around a few MHz to 100MHz, can you
afford to waste your limited space on your PCB to populate those junk 10pf or
100pf other people love to sprinkle ? Back in the days when boards are big and
performance and financial budget are loose, we chose to let whoever speculate
whatever is needed provided he/she sign the design off in a bureaucratic
company. Can we afford to do that anymore ? Not in a small company like mine
and we make a conscious decision to hire one type of engineer responsible for
both SI and EMI. And it worked out great.

And if you have time/resources or stupid enough like me, why not try experiment
1) or 2) :-D.