[SI-LIST] Re: PDN measurement references

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bowden.ivor@xxxxxxxxx, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 09:10:21 -0400

Ivor,

To be more specific with answers, you would need to be more specific
with the questions.
You said basic PDN simulations and measurements.
But is it for only one or any combination or for all of the followings?
- DC drop analysis
- DC power dissipation, current density
- thermal, reliability
- low-frequency DC-DC converters
- PCB only
- package only
- silicon only
- PCB plus package plus silicon
- EMC effects
- SI interactions
- do you want to limit yourself to tools you already have (if yes, what
are those)
- if you are in the position of investing in additional HW/SW, what are
the constraints
- is this for a specific project, or generic learning for future
projects or academic interest

Tools, techniques, simulators, HW instruments, probes, measurement
techniques will largely depend on the above.

Best regards,
Istvan Novak
Oracle

On 7/6/2014 11:53 PM, Ivor Bowden wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. I do have and read the
> "commercial" version of your excellent Right The First Time
> book, and Chapter 37 (John Zasio) is close to the type of
> information I'm looking for. I also found High Speed PCB
> Design (1 used from $199 on Amazon).
>
> I'm specifically looking for basic PDN measurement
> (simulation & physical) techniques (as opposed to design
> techniques, for example). Do you have more specific
> recommendation?
>
> Regards,
> Ivor
>
> On 7/6/2014 5:26 PM, Lee wrote:
>> Ivor,
>>
>> Try my books. We cover the topics you are interested in.
>>
>> Lee Ritchey
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Ivor Bowden Sent:
>> Saturday, July 05, 2014 3:56 PM To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: [SI-LIST] PDN measurement references
>> Hi SI community,
>> Can anyone suggest references (documents, app notes,
>> books, etc) about PDN measurement methods, for both
>> simulation and physical? Focus on basics: practical
>> techniques, tips, caveats, etc. Searching finds many
>> results, so looking for specific recommendations.
>> Thanks, Ivor

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: