[SI-LIST] PCI V2.2 output drive and slew rate question

  • From: "Fritz, Karl E." <fritz.karl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:47:05 -0600

Hi All,
I have been chasing my tail the last two days concerning the PCI V2.2 spec
that mentions a slew rate between 1 and 4V/ns as well as current sourcing
and sinking.  My problem is that when I meet the slew rate spec, my current
sourcing/sinking doesn't meet the spec anymore.  Likewise, when I meet the
sourcing/sinking spec, my slew rate is too fast.  The PCI V2.2 spec gives a
circuit load for measuring slew rate.  However, it does not give a circuit
load for measuring the current sourcing/sinking.  What sort of load do I
need to simulate this?  One coworker suggested that, for example, one
requirement is that with a VDD of 3.0V, the output needs to source 36mA with
0.9V at the output in the high state, that the buffer needs to have a logic
hi input, and with a voltage source of 0.9V sitting on the output, the
buffer should be sourcing at least 36mA.  I am curious to hear what others
do to satisfy these requirements.

thanks

Karl Fritz
Design  Engineer                                        vox: 507.538.5466
fritz.karl@xxxxxxxx                             fax: 507.284.9171
Special Purpose Processor Development Group - Mayo Foundation

List archives are viewable at: