[SI-LIST] Re: PCI Express Reference Clock Question

  • From: Mike Brown <bmgman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:16:35 -0500

As Steve notes, the reference clocks do not need to be phase/frequency
locked if they are "close enough" in frequency to each other.  The data
recovery loop in essence locks to the transmitting clock by extracting
data recovery clocks from the transmitted data transitions.  The wider
the frequency separation between the reference clocks, the less margin
the data recovery process will have.

Reference tracking is needed for SSC.

Mike

- - - - -