[SI-LIST] Re: PCB tracks

  • From: ray_waugh@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:52:48 -0600

Changes in characteristic impedance do not matter as long as the mismatched
section is shorter than a tenth wavelength at the highest operating frequency,
and as long as it is offset by a second mismatch.  For example, a short section
of narrow line (high impedance) can be nicely offset by a short section of wide
line (low impedance), forming a low pass filter with a cutoff frequency higher
than your highest operating frequency.

Radiation in TEM mode microstrip lines is a function of frequency, board
thickness and board dielectric constant.  Thin boards and boards with a high
dielectric constant restrict the E-fields of the line (keep them close to the
ground plane) and inhibit radiation.  32 mil FR4 works very nicely to 6 or 8
GHz, and 16 mil FR4 would not radiate anything you can measure at 15 GHz.

Ray

Raymond Waugh
Agilent Technologies
ray_waugh@xxxxxxxxxxx