[SI-LIST] Re: PCB thin dielectrics

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:28:09 -0800

1 mil glass epoxy tends to be very twitchy stuff.   I don't know of
anyone who has ever gotten good yields with it.

The closer you get to saturating the spreading inductance between the
bypass caps and the IC interconnect, the more valuable thinner
dielectric becomes.  If one has a low performance requirement where a 40
mil cavity will work there is little to be gained performance wise by
using something that is 10X, 20X or 40X thinner.  It also doesn't take
much in the way of bypass cap density to saturate such a thick cavity.
By a similar token if one has a 4mil cavity that works great with just a
few bypass caps, the gains from thin dielectric will be elusive.

However take any of the many cases where with 3-4mil cavities that
typically use enough caps to just equal the spreading inductance from
the IC attach to where the capacitors can be attached.  If you go from 4
mil to 1 mil you can achieve the same electrical performance from 5MHz
to the PDN / power cavity cross-over frequency with 57% as many caps or
a 43% savings in component, and placement cost, not to mention freeing
up real-estate right where you want to break-out the the signal traces.
It also opens other options as to how to assign the power polygons and
do the stack-up.  There are many cases where this allows fewer layers in
the design.

If you design using fewer caps and the thinner cavity then the cross
over frequency between the PDN and the cavity comes down substantially,
making it easier to manage the resonance at the transition.  This is
becoming a more significant issue as memory busses now operate at bit
rates / 2 that can land squarely on the transition.  Above the
transition, the characteristic impedance follows Hthin/Hthick * (
eRthick/eRthin )^0.5.  For either the duPont HK04 polyimide or the
Oak-Mitsui epoxy based materials the eR is fairly close to that of glass
/ epoxy and so the characteristic impedance falls almost linearly with
the dielectric thickness.  Even better, the thinner the dielectric, the
lower the cavity Q and so the lower ratio of 1/2 wave modal impedances
to the characteristic impedance.  For example with the 24um HK04
material the modal peaks run about 1/6th ( -16dB ) the impedance of an
identically patterned 4 mil FR406 or similar cavity.

I've worked with a number of duPont customers who are very happy with
the improvements thin dielectrics have made to their designs be it for:
Cost, performance, and/or yield / reliability or a combination of all.

I hope your seminars in Sweden went well.

Best Regards,

Steve.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net