[SI-LIST] Re: PCB thickness

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 06:09:36 -0800

You are looking for 0.47mm additional thickness, 0.12 mm or so should be easily
available in each of the prepregs:  L1-L2, L3-L4, L5-L6, and L7-L8 without
requiring significant change to line widths for impedance control on L3, L5, or
L6.  You should be specifying the laminates used.  I don't like this stackup
from either SI or PI but that is another issue.

L1: Fan out/GND
pp
L2: GND
core
L3: Sig
pp
L4: PWR
core
L5: Sig
pp
L6: Sig
core
L7: GND
pp
L8: Fan out/GND

Steve

On 2/2/2013 12:56 AM, Hithesh wrote:
> Istvan,
> Thanks for the reply.
> I did ask them to increase the dielectric thickness between L3-L4 and L5-L6.
> They said they cannot do it. I have no idea why they can't do it.
>
> -Hithesh
>

> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Hi Hithesh,
>>
>> Different fab houses may have access to, or may prefer to use, different
>> laminates.
>> With your stackup, however, there seems to be a very simple solution.
>>   Unless
>> you use L5 and L6 for broadside coupled differential routing, you can ask
>> the second
>> fab house to add board thickness by increasing the L3-L4 and L5-L6
>> thicknesses
>> by the same amount so that the total board thickness comes closer to your
>> target.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Istvan Novak
>> Oracle
>>

>> On 2/2/2013 12:11 AM, Hithesh wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> It's an 8 layer board.
>>> Stack up below
>>> L1: Fan out/GND
>>> L2: GND
>>> L3: Sig
>>> L4: PWR
>>> L5: Sig
>>> L6: Sig
>>> L7: GND
>>> L8: Fan out/GND
>>>
>>> The Cu thickness is 1oz on inner layers and 1oz finished thickness on
>>> outer
>>> layers.
>>> The Er/dielectric is left to the fab house.
>>> The board has high speed USB diff signals and DDR2 (133MHz).
>>>
>>> We use different Fab house for protos and production. The proto Fab house
>>> did not have any difficulty achieving board thickness and our impedance
>>> requirement. But the production Fab house wants to reduce PCB thickness
>>> and
>>> modify dielectric thickness.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> -Hithesh
>>>

>>> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Nobuyuki Kunito <kunito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Hithesh,

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
1580 Grand Point Way
MS 34689
Reno, NV  89523-9998
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: