[SI-LIST] Re: PCB parastic extraction

  • From: "Brad Brim" <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'sunil bharadwaz'" <sunil_bharadwaz@xxxxxxxxx>, "'SI LIST'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:52:30 -0700

hello Sunil,

The words you use to describe your design and simulation needs span a very
broad set of applications and may solicit a broad range of suggestions. "RF
Layout" and "impedance matching" imply to many RF/microwave/antenna type
designs; call these High-Frequency applications for lack of a better term.
However, "PCB parasitics", "RLGC", "extraction" imply what are typically
called High-Speed applications. Having worked for EDA companies in each of
these two domains I have personally experienced applications strongly
focused in each domain that could generally (and accurately) be described
with the words you used. Though the two application areas have significant
overlap, EDA design tools are usually focused on one of these two domains
and typically not as strong in the other. Before making suggestions for what
tools to use one should ask you a number of questions to classify your
needs. Without knowing more detail about your specific application many of
the answers you receive will either be an endorsement of the responder's
favorite tool or promotion of the tool sold by the company for whom the
responder works. To help classify your needs you could describe whether you
are trying more to achieve "controlled impedance" routing or if you are
trying more to achieve input/output matching for an RF power amplifier.

cheers,
 -Brad
  Sigrity

List technical documents are available at: