[SI-LIST] Re: PCB modelling wizard ?

  • From: "Aubrey Sparkman" <asparkman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'steve weir'" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'QU Perry'" <Perry.Qu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 11:58:09 -0500

Perry,

I agree that scripts are certainly the way to go if you do LOTS of 3D
modeling on a continual basis.  For others who 3D modeling only at certain
points in a design cycle, it may be faster to use the interface tool.  Even
for the pre-layout stage (and perhaps because I have some experience with
Allegro), I find it easier to setup a board and draw the desired geometry in
Allegro and then transfer it to the 3D tool than to setup a board and draw
the geometries in the 3D tool.  For the post-layout correlation cases, it's
easy to delete unwanted geometries in Allegro and transfer the remainder.
Transfer to Momentum is very easy; transfer via Alinks to HFSS or Q3d has a
couple of bugs you need to watch out for but can be made to work.  In any
case, you can convert specific parts of the design to parameterized parts
after the transfer.

For your specific needs, you should consider the script development as an
investment and see which way wins for overall productivity.

Aubrey Sparkman
Aubrey.K.Sparkman@xxxxxxxx