[SI-LIST] Re: PCB layer stackup

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jan.kindt@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:34:28 -0600

I like stack-up 2 with the suggestion of turning one of the internal
power planes to a ground plane. Here is why:

Many times you will get lower emissions from a product by routing your
clock traces on the outer layers (assuming they are over a ground
plane). I first saw this in an IEEE EMC conference paper and experience
bears it out.=20

The second reason is that your devices (also sources of noise) are
mounted on the outside of the board. In stack-up 2, this means they are
directly over the ground layer, also increasing coupling to ground.

So from an EMC perspective stack-up two (with an internal ground layer
next to the power layer) is best.

                                Curt=20

Curt McNamara // senior electrical engineer=20
Logic Product Development
411 Washington Ave. N. Suite 400=20
Minneapolis, MN 55401
T // 612.436.5178
F // 612.672.9489=20
www.logicpd.com
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.