[SI-LIST] Re: PCB Trace impedance algorithms

  • From: Sam Sam <si.rules@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:03:35 -0500 (EST)

Dear all,

  Thanks for all your answers. I will definitely go over the references you
mentioned to help me more.

  John,

  I understand full wave field solvers provide accurate answers compared to
formulas at the cost of the computational time. How is the impedance calculated
from the field solutions? If i calculate my scattering parameters, is it
possible to find the impedance of the trace from that? As you mentioned allegro
uses BEM field solver, they should be able to calculate the impedance matrices
to do that?

  Steve,

  When you say curve fitting technique is used for closed form formulas, what
do they curve fit to calculate the impedance. Can you plz elaborate a little on
that?Also from John's comments polar also uses full wave technique, why does
that be more effcient or attractive that ansoft tools.

  Also people,I am thinking what  is the impact of frequency dependence. That
is when calculating impedance do these tools include frequency dependent
effects or they calculate at one frequency point?

  thanks again for your earlier responses,

  Sam

"Dodd, Ian" <ian_dodd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Sam,
Formulas are available for the calculation of trace characteristic
impedance (and velocity of propagation) for simple trace topologies.
Many are reasonably accurate over specified ranges of geometric ratios.

Enterprise PCB design tools tend not to use formulas because the
geometric range limitations.
Instead they use 2D plus finite element fields solvers.
They are called 2D plus because they assume the trace segment or trace
segments being analyzed have a uniform cross-section, so they calculate
the inductance, capacitance, resistance and conductance per unit length
for the representative cross-section, then multiply the values by the
actual length. These types of solvers can usually handle systems of many
coupled traces.

Obviously there is a lot more information.
The reference kindly provided by Dave Instone is certainly good.
You might also try Signal Integrity Simplified by Eric Bogatin for a
wider view.

I hope this helps

Ian Dodd
Mentor Graphics Inc