[SI-LIST] Re: PCB Leakage Currents

  • From: "Kai Keskinen" <kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <esayre3@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:03:06 -0400

I encountered this problem when a customer had asked for solder containing
water soluble flux. The manufacturing people said the solder would be OK in
their process. They did not account for the fact that they would have to
adjust their process to wash the boards after reflow. The flux residue
absorbed water and caused the 5M Ohm to 100M Ohm resistances between -48V,
return, and ground similar to what your are seeing. Once we had the boards
washed, the resistance became essentially infinite.