[SI-LIST] Re: Overshoot / Undershoot

  • From: Bill.Cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: kwillis@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:36:09 -0500

>I had a slightly different question related to this. Some 3.3V devices
>are 5V-tolerant, and per their specs can tolerate quite a bit of
>overshoot. Let's assume for a minute that the overshoot you will see
>is within the device's spec, and is such that the timing will still be
>OK. So everything should be functional and within spec for SI/timing
>purposes
>overshoot, even if it is within the device specs. The thinking here is
>that every time the bus switches, it can have 64 (or however many) bits
>with overshoot at their receivers, turning on their associated clamp
>diodes, and shooting nice spikes of current into the power/ground system.

When we design 5V tolerant inputs we remove the clamp diode to 3.3V. So
when the signal reaches 5V
there are no diodes to turn on. This makes the design of the ESD network
harder but not impossible.

When designing for undershoot/overshoot there are many things to consider.
Two main considerations
are maximum current (when turning on diodes) and over voltage of the input
MOS gate oxides. In advanced
technology's gate oxide stress is becoming more of the limiting factor.
Reliability is specified for
over voltage and time of stress. The greater the stress the shorter the
time to failure is.

It is interesting to note that with low threshold MOS devices the MOS diode
now turns on before the
junction diode. This just points out one more change with advanced
technologies. With 1V thresholds
of older processes the junction diode would always absorb the current in an
over voltage situation.
Now with thresholds at 0.3V and declining the MOS turns on before the
junction diode and can absorb
current. Metal lines should be sized accordingly to account for this if
over voltage situations are tolerated.

| Bill Cohen
| Toshiba America Electronic Components
| Mixed Signal Design Group

             "Ken Willis"
             <kwillis@cadence.
             Sent by:                  <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             si-list-bounce@fr                                          cc
             eelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [SI-LIST] Re: Overshoot /
             01/13/2006 09:24          Undershoot
             AM

             Please respond to
             kwillis@xxxxxxxxx
                    om

Hi,

I had a slightly different question related to this. Some 3.3V devices
are 5V-tolerant, and per their specs can tolerate quite a bit of
overshoot. Let's assume for a minute that the overshoot you will see
is within the device's spec, and is such that the timing will still be
OK. So everything should be functional and within spec for SI/timing
purposes.

Some of the EMI folks I have worked with in hardware development have
expressed concern about leaving a bus like this with excessive (ex. 2v)
overshoot, even if it is within the device specs. The thinking here is
that every time the bus switches, it can have 64 (or however many) bits
with overshoot at their receivers, turning on their associated clamp
diodes,
and shooting nice spikes of current into the power/ground system. Some
view
this as a bunch of little noise sources, exciting the planes, and
potentially
lighting heatsinks, cables, other critical components, etc. nearby.

So for EM compliance reasons and general robustness of the system, it
seems
like it may be desireable to terminate buses of this nature, even if it
is
OK by traditional SI/timing points of view. I was curious to see if
folks
are generally content to let buses like this thump away with the
overshoot,
or if they usually strive to terminate them in their typical
methodologies.

Ken