[SI-LIST] Re: Orcad layout to Allegro

  • From: "Painter, Chris" <Chris.Painter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:03:19 -0400

Tim,

You need to run the .max file through a translator.  Here is an email one of
my collegues recieved from Cadance covering this issue:

I believe this solution from our SourceLink website will help you get the
translator. It is recommended to use the v14.0 Layout-to-Allegro translator
as that has been some reported problems with the others.

As for your questions:
1) can an Orcad layout file be translated into Allegro? and if so, how?
Yes, get the translator.
2) can your group do the translation or is this an additional product that I
will have to buy?
We do not translate designs, No you can download it for free.
3) are there any limitations on the versions involved in the translations?
Please see the Solution below.

Thank you,

Allan Loewy
Lead Support Applications Engineer
Cadence Design Systems
(845) 294-6023 (voice)
mailto:loewy@xxxxxxxxxxx

<http://www.cadence.com/>
Cadence Support Hotline: (877)237-4911

For Customer Support online, visit Cadence Sourcelink
<http://sourcelink.cadence.com>

What is new in Sourcelink?
<http://www.cadence.com/support/whatsnew.html>

NEW: FAQ Library on SourceLink:

http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/files/FAQ/FAQ_Library.html

NEW: PSD14.2 Enhancement Videos
<http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/files/Release_Info/PSD142_Release_Videos
/main.html>

Solution No. 11009288 Orcad Layout to Cadence Allegro translator

http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/db/kdb/2002/Feb/11009288.html

*Problem Statement:
 I have a Layout board file (.max) that I would like to translate to an
Allegro board file (.brd).
 Is a translator available that can accomplish this task?

*Solution:
 Cadence has developed an Orcad Layout to Allegro translator that works
quite well.  It will
 take a Layout .MAX file and create an Allegro .BRD file.  We do not have a
utility that will
 take a Layout footprint library .LLB file and create Allegro .PSM/.DRA
files.  There are no
 plans to create a utility like this.  Currently the way to accomplish a
task like this is
 to manually place all of your desired custom footprints from a library into
a .MAX file, translate
 this file to Allegro and then extract the symbols in Allegro.

 A translator to convert an Allegro board to a Layout board has not been
developed and there are currently no plans to create one.

 Here are some links to the translators (ToAllegro136.zip for v13.6 Allegro,
ToAllegro140.zip for v14.0 Allegro, and ToAllegro141.zip for v14.1 Allegro.

 Note:
 The 14.1 and 14.2 versions of the translator have reported problems with
reproduction of spacing
 and color rules.  Development recommends using the v14.0 Layout-to-Allegro
translator with
 Allegro 14.1 and Allegro 14.2 until these issues have been resolved.  The
14.2 version of
 the Layout-to-Allegro translator has not yet been posted to the Orcad
Community Website, if
 you require a copy please contact Customer Support.

 http://www.orcadpcb.com/downloads/product/ToAllegro136.zip

 http://www.orcadpcb.com/downloads/product/ToAllegro140.zip

 http://www.orcadpcb.com/downloads/product/ToAllegro141.zip

 Download the zip file appropriate to the version of Allegro that you have
installed.
  Here are some links to a couple common problems encountered with
setup/use:
 Could not find a TELENV environment variable or the FAKE_ENV file

 http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/db/kdb/2000/Nov/11035394.html

  Layout to Allegro translator error: Fileops entry 'UNITS' not found

 http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/db/kdb/2001/Oct/1844483.html