[SI-LIST] Re: Optimal Power/ground lauout for a 2-layer PCB

  • From: Adeel Malik <AdeelM@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:46:56 +0500

Hi All,
                 I have a task to design a  2-layer board with a very packed
circuitry and so, no luxury of  having the ground or power planes. The power
supplies provided to the board are +5V, -24V and -48V, through a DIN-96
connector.
I have two questions:

1. Digital components would be fed directly from +5V supply whereas I have
to generate +5V Analog (for Analog ICs)  from +5V supply. How should I do
that so that transients at +5V due to digital IC's are not coupled to +5V
Analog ?.

2. Secondly, I require the impedance of power tracks not more than 0.1 Ohms
at frequencies upto 50MHz. What should be the optimum dimensions of these
tracks (+5V and its ground) ?.

Also I 'ld appreciate if someone can guide me to an Application/Design note
describing power/ground layout on a double-layer PCB for a multiple-supply
instrument.

I' ld be thankful to your response,
Regards,
Adeel Malik,