[SI-LIST] Re: Opinions wanted on Signal Integrity analysis tools

  • From: "Ing. Giancarlo Guida" <gianguida@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tom_cip_11551@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:31:36 +0100

Hi Tom, in my opinion
the portfolio of an SI engineer working at gigabit application
should contain 2 kind of tools.

First a 3d full wave EM solver should be used, in pre-layout analysis,
to fix necessary layout constraint to be used to obtain a clean design.
It should be clear that decision about via, differential via , cut in
gnd planes
should not be taken be without the help of a tool .
A 3D solver will help you, in an easy way, to find the best comprise
about strategic problem.
Last but not least a 3D solver can be efficient to analyse power
Delivering System,decide where to place
decap capacitor and theyr values...
At the moment I am using CST Microwave Studio, being a time domain
solver, it could be very useful for signal integrity problem
A 2D EM solver could also be used to optimize layer stack-up,
spacing and width of traces, material...and so on ( you could find some
tools very useful on the web)

Second, a post-layout tool would be necessary when the layout  will be
complete
to correct problem introduced during the routing especially if one uses
automatic routing.
A typical post-layout tool like the one offered by company such as Zuken
could be a valid help
to find potential SI problem in a complex board and will allow you to
perform efficient
time-domain analyisis

A last consideration should be done: these tools need to be introduced
in your design flow
and they will have an impact on it.
In my opinion  both pre-layout and post-layout analysis could
dramatically improve the "quality" of design flow
and produce a drastic reduction of  the time you, actually, spend
debugging your board
but you would need to be careful in tuning the exchange of information
among your design flow

Hope this could help

Giancarlo

tom_cip_11551 ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> At present, I work for a small company that does gigabit design,
> pretty much by experiment. If we do not make our return loss
> specification, we take some copper away from the ground layer, or do
> something else, until we do make it. We may turn the board a few
> times but that is the way it goes.
>
> I have done a number evauations of programs that do EM analysis,
> such as AWR Microwave Office, CST Microwave Studio and Sonnet EM
> Suite.
>
> I would like to know if there is an opinion in the group concerning
> any other programs that are generally used. For example, I have read
> some data about Cadence Specctraquest. Specctraquest, however,
> appears to be more model based (pspice) than EM based.
>
> Before I make a proposal to management for capital equipment, I
> would like to get more opinions for the SI group.
>
> The main challenge that we have, is the mating of high speed
> connectors to the PCB. Sometimes we can get spice models of the
> connector, by itself, but that does not do us much good concerning
> the mating interface of the PCB pad to the connector pin.
>
> Thank You
> Tom

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at: