[SI-LIST] Re: One stitching via or more vias is better for 25Gbps application???

  • From: "Istvan Nagy" <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lee.home.61@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 13:52:03 -0700

Lee,

Did you do simulations both with/without stitching vias?
Also try the simulation on a diffpair that previously (before arriving to
the via) got some skew/imbalance. I don't know but suspect that the skewed
diffpair will get more mode transformation if the return paths are not good.
To be tested with simulation. It was a lot of work for us to set the signal
via to gnd via distance to minimize reflections. Now with no gnd via, the
signalvia to gnd via distance depends on the surrounding elements in the pcb
layout.
How about via impedance and reflections? Without the stitching vias, the
signal via impedance will be as much as "who knows".

Regards,
Istvan Nagy