[SI-LIST] Re: On traces referenced to power not ground - question.

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:29:15 -0800

Charles, while it's true that the signal doesn't care what DC voltage is
on an image plane, it cares a whole lot about how it gets launched and
how it terminates.  So, you will want to ensure that near the launch and
the termination, you have a sufficiently low impedance across the signal
bandwidth so as not to reflect an excessive amount of energy.  If you
are lucky that coupling will be adequately handled in your IC packages.

Best Regards,

Steve.
On 12/19/2012 7:51 AM, Grasso, Charles wrote:
> Hello folks:
>
> As has been noted previously, a highspeed signal doesn't care what the
> reference voltage is
> on a closely coupled adjacent plane. If (as in my case ) address lines are
> referenced to a
> power "plane" (a large patch!) then am I right in thinking that ultimately
> the return current will flow
> through decoupling caps to get to ground.
>

> Best Regards
> Charles Grasso
> Compliance Engineer
> Echostar Communications
> (w) 303-706-5467
> (c) 303-204-2974
> (t) 3032042974@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:3032042974@xxxxxxxxx>
> (e) charles.grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:charles.grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> (e2) chasgrasso@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:chasgrasso@xxxxxxxxx>

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: