[SI-LIST] Re: On the use of "dots" for copper balance

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 22:20:07 +0000

I don't think thieving is just done for plating uniformity.  For years, I've
seen vendors put thieving on inner layers and I was told that was for prepreg
thickness consistency and etching uniformity.  I'm also told (by PCB experts)
that many (most?) outer layers are now being done with "panel plating" (vs.
"pattern plating" that you're describing), and that nullifies the benefit of
thieving if it was only for plating uniformity.  Of course, this is for my
domain, which is server boards.  I don't know what processes are commonly used
for cell phones, etc.

To answer the original question, I agree with Lee that the metal is kept far
enough away from any signals to preclude issues (in theory, anyway).  Be
especially careful if you have buried microstrip, or a dual stripline design
(as Lee said).

FYI (some terminology):
"panel plate": plate the entire outer layers and then etch the geometries.
Can't be used for the finer (<4mil) geometries, but I'm told it's being used
very often now.  Cross-sectioning many boards indicates it is usually being
used (as evidenced by the microstrip profile - curved walls, signs of
undercutting, etc.).  Thieving wouldn't make any difference to trace plating
thickness, it would only affect the etching.
"pattern plate": only plate the desired geometries.  This was the conventional
technique, and thieving affected plating thickness significantly.
Cross-sectioning of these boards shows the conventional "rectangle on a
trapezoid" profile.

As always, I welcome others' information or data, even if it contradicts my
current understanding.
Jeff Loyer