[SI-LIST] Re: On sharing viewpoints and info

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ray Anderson" <raymond.anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:49:51 -0700

Ray,

It is my pleasure to let you know how much Sun and your team have help
things along.  I could name a dozen or more systems that have been fixed
using your data.  I can count several dozen systems that have been improved
or made to work using the UMR data.

When I teach my classes in Australia and New Zealand, many of the students
tell me they are subscribers and ask that those of us who have experience
in critical areas, speak up when something is posted that is a little off.

All taken together, these efforts have dramatically changed the landscape
of SI around the world for the better.  Bad rules of thumb are gradually
going away and good analysis is replacing it.

Lee

Lee Ritchey
leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink.

<raymond.anderson@xxxxxxx>
> Date: 8/12/2003 9:53:31 AM
> Subject: On sharing viewpoints and info
>

> >Ray,
> >
> >Good point.  Some of the science I and others draw from was done by
> >engineers at Sun.  Some was from UMR.  Some was actual lab measurements
> >that I and my partners have made.  I accept opinion that has as its basis
> >some actual experiment or analysis.  That is valid opinion, or better
> >observation based on experiment.  That is the stuff of engineering.
> >Hunches and rules of thumb are not.  We have a great deal of the latter
in
> >circulation that mislead.  All of us should work at reducing this kind of
> >rule making.
> >
> >Several engineers at Sun have done quite a bit of this and shared it with
> >the engineering community.  Among them, Larry Smith.
> >
> >This very forum is a major contributor to this cause and I applaud Sun
for
> >doing it.   The rest of us are in its debt for doing so.
> >
> >Lee Ritchey
> >

> Lee-
>
> Thanks for the kind words of appreciation on Sun's contributions to
> the SI community over the past years.
>
> Larry and Tanmoy and I and a couple others on our SI staff have worked
> closely on power distribution issues and are pleased that we have been
> able to share some of our results and methods with the SI community.
>
> As the recent interchange on decap placement has illustrated, there
> are usually a number of different viewpoints and theories relating
> to various topics. It is through the sharing of these sometimes opposing
> views that a lot of the list membership (myself included) learn a
> lot about our field of endeavor.
>
> As you mentioned, aside from the actual engineering work, si-list has
> contributed markedly to the ability of the engineering community to
> interactively share knowledge amongst each other. Presently there are
> about 3500 subscribers world-wide contributing to this forum. It is
> through the combined efforts of experts such as yourself who are willing
> to share their knowledge that the forum has become a source of high
quality
> information for the working engineer and student alike.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Ray Anderson
> Sun Microsystems Inc.

List archives are viewable at: