[SI-LIST] Re: On a different note ....

  • From: "Peterson, James F (FL51)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 03:29:50 -0700

The way I account for clock convergence in a spreadsheet is exactly how PCI
does it : It's skew and it always hurts you - in other words it's subtracted
in both the setup and hold time equations.

So, if we have two synchronous chips interfacing w/ each other, the skew
between them is another equation that has several components : jitter,
routing, clk buffer skew..... The results are then used in the board's setup
/ hold time equations.

This skew does not include any insertion delay of an asic or fpga. That is
accounted for in a different way.

best regards.
Jim Peterson
Honeywell