[SI-LIST] Re: Off Track system question

  • From: "Stephen Wu" <Stephen.Wu@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 16:21:00 -0800

I agree with Jeff. The mother board devices (eg. chipset) are optional to be
plug and play. Changing Motherboard is not  a usual situation. I don't thinks
MS handles it properly.

Best Regards,
Stephen Wu

----- Forwarded by Stephen Wu/Americas/NSC on 04/01/02 04:18 PM -----

                    jeff.w.loyer@

                    intel.com            To:     doug@xxxxxxxxxx@Internet,
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx@Internet
                                         cc:     (bcc: Stephen Wu/Americas/NSC)

                    04/01/02             Subject:     [SI-LIST] Re: Off Track
system question
                    04:00 PM

Not my exact area of expertise, but I've had a little experience here and am
not surprised.  Here's what I believe you're up against...

Windows has to adapt its low-level drivers for your exact hardware through
your BIOS.  If you change your BIOS (which you must do for the new
motherboard), all those settings are invalidated.  Windows doesn't know how
to communicate with the chipset, etc.

Jeff Loyer