[SI-LIST] Odd/Even mode impedance

  • From: Alexis LESTRA <alestra@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:20:57 +0200

Hi all,

I am currently designing a PCB backplane for differential signals at 2.5
Gbit/s. I use a differential receiver with 100 Ohm termination. For
coupled transmission lines, which impedance should match 50 Ohm, the
even-mode impedance or the even-mode impedance ?
After reading some documentation on the topic, I am confused. On one
hand, I read that differential signals propagate in odd-mode since
coupled transmission lines are driven with equel magnitude and 180° out
of phase ("High-speed Digital System Design", S.H. Hall, G.W. Hall, J.A.
McCall, p.53) . On the other hand, I read that since differential
signals are launched from silicon devices, the gates that driver these
signals are both referenced to ground, resulting in even-mode coupling
(http://www.amp.com/simulation/files/papers/98060A 5.pdf   p.19).
Can anyone help me to clarify this point.

Thanks in advance.

Alexis

--
Alexis Lestra