[SI-LIST] Re: OT: Overvoltage breakdown on 120 nm silicon? - conclusion

  • From: Dimiter Popoff <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 2:18:28 +0200

Hi and thanks to everyone who followed this and commented.

It turned out the CPU had been killed after all (replaced it
yesterday, had to wait for delivery).

I had never seen a chip damaged in such a subtle way (but then again,
I am not involved much in production where these things must be more
common).
Something inside the data cache had died - in a way it failed
only when the CPU would write a 32 bit word with autodecrement
(OK, on PPC this is writing at -4,Rn with update to Rn) and
this would happen on a cache hit. Locking the cache had made
the system boot (and completely useless, way too slow).

This must have been caused by an overvolatege event on the
1.5V core supply. Not sure how high, must have been
between 2.5 and 3V (absolute max. rating being 1.8).

The on-CPU-chip clamping diodes are unlikely to have been driven
open, the 1.5V power is 1N5819 (Shottky) clamped to both the 2.5 and
the 3.3V.

I stoppped posting on that thread when someone suggested it
was quite a pain to witness someones troubleshooting, I had
not realized this could be the case (had just missed the obvious).
So I am posting this now to have at least some finishing line
to that troubleshooting story you all witnessed (I imagine it is
better this way than to leave it open).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net