[SI-LIST] Re: [OT] Offshore engineering

  • From: Dimiter Popoff <dimiter.popoff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:49:15 +0200

> ... They were paid very low wages but were placed in the company
> by recruitment firms specializing in temporary offshore engineering talent.
> In general they had very good academic skills but virtually no practical
> experience.
> In most cases we had to redo most of what they did and in at

You get what you pay for, on or off-shore...
You can get cheap engineers (either shore :-) to do within a year or two
what the true engineer behind a product (there is always one) can do
himself within a week or so using the automation tools of the day.
If managers & recruiters could possibly live with that...

> Technologies like software, layout and consumer product design can be
> mastered offshore but cutting edge skills like signal integrity won't be
> mastered as easily.

Putting software in one basket with layout and consumer product design
sounds... well, like the mess we have today on the software arena.
All that C smearing called programming (it will take some time, may be
a very long time, before people realize C has done to programming what
Roman numbers did to maths...).
While I am not GHz range experienced, I have done quite a bit of stuff
(whatever you see on my website is my design). I must say that hardware
design takes within 10% of my time dedicated to a project, the rest
goes on software (and I use no C, thus being 10x + as efficient...).

Dimiter

List technical documents are available at:
                http:/www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: