[SI-LIST] [OT] Offshore engineering

  • From: "Martin Euredjian" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:20:39 -0800

My apologies for the OT post.  If it's seriously irrelevant please don't
respond so that the thread does not consume list bandwidth.

A current thread initiated by a vendor posting and ad touched upon a painful
sore which is the migration of all sorts of jobs from call center to
engineering to countries like India and China.  This is a subject I continue
to attempt to understand as the game unfolds.  I can't say that I have a
grasp for what the end-game will be or where we are going, I just know that
I have to pay attention to it.

As a small business that's expanding and facing the need to hire engineers
soon, I have to look at the marketplace and consider what's going on.
Offshore engineering sure feels like an unavoidable element of remaning
competitive.  If other companies in your field choose to go that route, how
can you possibly compete while paying 10x the wages locally?

I guess I'm looking for wisdom from someone who understands where this is
going.  I want to hire from and support my local engineering talent pool.  I
don't think that, as a country, we can afford the wreck that this offshore
business might leave behind.  However, I'm not sure what we can do about it.
And, BTW, "country" here might not necesarily apply to the US alone, as I'm
sure this is an issue in countries like UK, Germany, France, etc.

Martin Euredjian
eCinema Systems, Inc.
voice: 661-305-9320
fax: 661-775-4876