[SI-LIST] Re: OT: Mobile apps for engineers

  • From: Martin Euredjian <martin_05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 21:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for your input.
I have something that I'll call a "generalized equation solver" on my list.
 I've already implemented one in iOS that I am testing for a narrow set of
problems just to get a sense of performance and what it would take to expand
beyond that narrow set.
Equation entry is one of the questions.  I could take three approaches:

1- Mathematical
2- Excel-like
3- C-like

The first would require the use of a graphical equation editor to write
equations as you would in math.

The second approach would mimic Excel formula entry syntax.

The third would do the same but being closer to C.

Being that I am comfortable with any of the above I am not sure what would be
the best.  Math-style can be more readable.  Both Excel and C can get a little
cryptic as formulas get longer.

The nice thing about the idea of mimicking Excel is that one could play with
formulas in Excel and then import right into the tool via email copy-and-paste
or some such mechanism.

-Martin

PS: If anyone else has any suggestions please do feel free to email me off list
with your thoughts.