[SI-LIST] OT: Backscatter

  • From: "J.D. Bakker" <jdb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 00:01:38 +0200

[according to Google it's been a while since this was discussed here]

Hi all,

This is getting silly.

After my earlier reply in the "Mixed digital/RF board with switching
power supplies"-thread, I received no less than 64 out-of-office
autoreplies:

- 9 from cadence.com;
- 8 from mentor.com;
- 3 from each of xilinx.com, emc.com, altera.com and agilent.com;
- 2 from each of ti.com, synopsys.com, samtec.com and motorola.com;
- 1 from each of vitesse.com, unisys.com, solectron.com, silabs.com,
sanmina-sci.com, rambus.com, pmc-sierra.com, nokia.com, mindtree.com,
mei4pcbs.com, mc.com, maxtek.com, lsi.com, infineon.com,
ianmartin.com, hp.com, freescale.com, flextronics.com,
exgate.tek.com, cypress.com, avid.com, avagotech.com, ansoft.com,
alliedtelesis.com, adaptec.com, actel.com and Prenhall.com.

A few months ago Orin Laney wrote:

>I'm hesitant to reply to the entire list, because the automated "out
>of office" replies are a pain in a tender place.  Why there isn't a
>facility to suppress auto responses to list servers speaks to why so
>much software is terrible -- it's written by programmers rather than
>by users.

Most out-of-office (or 'vacation') scripts are programmed not to
reply to mailing list articles -- many programmers are subscribed to
several such lists, and they know how much of a pain these messages
are.

Funny thing, out of these 64 autoreplies, 61 had this header:

By comparison, in my 1056-article SI-list backlog, only 341 have been
routed through any version of Microsoft Exchange.

JDB.
[preparing for the next wave]
--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may
be slow, but he'll eventually get them.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: