[SI-LIST] Re: Number of layers

  • From: Mark Alexander <mark.alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Salkow, Steven" <steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx>, "Dan Bostan" <dbostan@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ambr Amit" <ambr_amit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:54:44 -0600

All,

A few clarifying additions on the appnote Steve referenced:

XAPP623 is the PDN design guideline for older Virtex products like
Virtex-2 Pro.  The china.xilinx.com link below should pull up the
correct document, but here's the link through our main website:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp623.pd

For current FPGAs like Virtex-4 and Virtex-5, we made the guidelines
specific to each product family.  This was necessary because the device
power systems have been getting more unique.  Consult the respective PCB
Design Guide for PDN design guidelines:

Virtex-4:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug072.pdf
Virtex-5:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug203.pdf =

Virtex-5 is the first family where we've made the decoupling guidelines
completely prescriptive: it's a fixed network per-device.

-mark
 =