[SI-LIST] Re: Noise on BGA core voltage rail

  • From: ANAND KURIAKOSE <Anand.Kuriakose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pwelling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:19:22 -0700

        Hi philips,

        Basically i used an FET probe with roughly 1 inch ground length b/n
probe and test board ground. The measurements were taken either directly
across the high frequency caps which (quite a few) are placed directly under
the BGA or on the BGA vias. However i will validate the test setup in a
manner u have mentioned below.

        Thanx,
        Anand.

        From:   pwelling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 08/09/2002 04:16 AM
        To:     ANAND KURIAKOSE/Apex Data Inc/01@Apex Data Inc,
Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx@SMTP@Exchange
        cc:     si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx@SMTP@Exchange

        Subject:        RE: [SI-LIST] Re: Noise on BGA core voltage rail

        Anand,

        Have you checked the local probe environment to see if you are
inductively
        picking up EMI noise from the components around the measurements
area? I am
        already assuming that you have a very short ground (less than 1/2
inch) from
        the scope probe ground to a low impedance ground on the board under
test.
        Often, we will put ground pads on our boards to minimize the loop. I
am also
        assuming that there are not alot of traces run between the ground
connection
        and the test measurement point. This is only one of the reasons why
we limit
        routing on outside layers of the board.

        There is an easy test to see if you are creating measurement error
(the
        small difference between the 2 measured values - may suggest this)
by the
        local environment.

        That test is to short the oscilloscope probe ground to the
oscilloscope
        probe tip. Then move the probe near the area you were measuring. You
will
        then "see" the measurement environment as a single turn loop. If the
noise
        is there at nearly the same levels, the loop area of the ground is
suspect -
        or - look at the rest of the measuring environment. The rest of the
        measuring environment is made up of the probe body (in some less
expensive
        probes), probe cable, oscilloscope environment, etc... It sounds
funny, but
        if you think of a debug station is , you have power supplies with
long
        cables, power cords, Personal Computers, Display Monitors, keyboard
and
        mouse cables, etc... I actually walked into a situation once with a
high
        resolution monitor at a debug station that coupled noise to the
oscilloscope
        probe cable causing a false reading (CRT card emissions, and Yoke
        emissions).

        Aside from this possibility, you have received good advice from the
LIST
        contributors. One thing I wanted to mention is that when we think of
        capacitance from the power plane structure, we often consider it
high
        quality capacitance dominated by capaitance not inductance. As vias
        penetrate that plane capacitance structure, the planes become more
inductive
        (capillary inductive action) the quality of that capacitance
degrades. With
        high pin count BGAs, like the 1152 pin packages, really perforate
the planes
        and the buried capacitance suffers. Unfortunately, that is where we
need the
        plane capacitance for the higher frequency output drivers and core
voltages.
        Creative device fanout helps, and using micro-vias help that
situation, but
        are expensive.

        Has anyone performed research on how the plane capacitance is
degraded by
        large BGAs perforations? Both donut style and full package
perforations?

        Good Luck.

        Philip Ross Wellington
        Mgr. Signal Integrity & EMI
        L-3 Communications CSW

                From:   Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx> on 08/09/2002
12:03 AM
                Please respond to Larry Smith
<Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx>@SMTP@Exchange
                To:     si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx@SMTP@Exchange, ANAND
KURIAKOSE/Apex
        Data Inc/01@Apex Data Inc
                cc:

                Subject:        Re: [SI-LIST] Noise on BGA core voltage rail

                Anand - It is difficult to do anything about power
distribution
        noise
                at 200 MHz and above by using discreet decoupling
capacitors.

                Your best ally at high frequency is the PCB power planes.
They are
                effective at high frequency but may have cavity resonances
which
        depend
                upon the dimensions of the board.

                The best way to make the PCB power planes effective is by
defining a
                stackup that has power/Gnd plane pairs next to each other.
The
                dielectric thickness between the planes determines the
capacitance
        and
                spreading inductance of the planes.  Thinner is better.  4
mils
        between
                planes is good, 2 mils is better.

                Several years ago, it was common to see power and ground
planes
                separated by 14 mils or so in order to accommodate 2 signal
layers
                between the planes.  With that spacing, the performance of
the
                decoupling capacitors is limited by the spreading inductance
of the
                power planes.  If you have more than a few dozen ceramic
capacitors,
                you must use adjacent power planes in the stackup in order
to make
        them
                effective.  Otherwise, the impedance of the planes dominates
over
        the
                impedance of the capacitors at high frequency.

                regards,
                Larry Smith
                Sun Microsystems

                > From: Anand.Kuriakose@xxxxxxxxxx
                > To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                > Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:06:59 +0630
                > Subject: [SI-LIST] Noise on BGA core voltage rail
                >

                > Hi,
                >
                > Heres a situation where i have a BGA (chipset with
interface to
        processor, DDR
                > memory and other high speed proprietry buses) with
sufficient
        decoupling
                > sprinkled around the BGA. The decoupling on the core
voltage rail
        (2.5V, which
                > is also the I/O voltage for DDR interface)  basically
consists of
        2 high value
                > bulk capacitors, six 1uf caps, ten each of 0.1uF and
0.01uF caps.
        I am
                noticing
                > noise around 150mv of noise during activity on the DDR
(using
        software
                > utilities) and roughly 80-100 mV  during almost no
activity across
        the chip.
                > This amplitude is significantly more than the noise
noticed at
        other high
                speed
                > chips on the board. Using the FFT function on the DSO, i
figured
        out that the
                > frequencies where it peaks are 200Mhz and integral
multiples of
        200Mhz.

                > I tried a couple of things:
                >
                > 1>   Since i am seeing peaks at 200Mhz and its integral
multiples,
        i thought
                > that there could be insufficient high frequency decoupling
and
        hence i replace
                > the  0.1uF caps with 1000pF caps.
                > 2>   Secondly, fearing that there could be some resonance
        happening due the
                > different values of caps used, i replaced all the 0.1 uF
caps with
        0.01uF caps
                > (in  addition to existing 0.01uF caps).
                >
                > Both the above strategies failed to reduce the noise.
There was no
        change in
                the
                > amplitude of the noise and also the frequencies where
peaks were
        noticed.

                > Can somebody out there throw some light on what is lacking
in the
        strategies
                > mentioned above and how to reduce this noise
satisfactorily.

                > Thanx in advance.
                > Anand.

Subject