[SI-LIST] Re: No need of termination within critical length??

  • From: dbrooks9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Sonu Kurian N.D" <sonukurian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:41:32 -0700

 Clearly, if the trace is very short, no termination is required. If th= e
trace is very long, a termination is probably required. So where is the p=
oint at which we crossover from no termination being required to where a te=
rmination is required? That point is not a precise point. We all may make s=
lightly different judgments about this, depending on our preferences and th=
e characteristics (and sensitivities) of our circuits. However, that point =
is generally around the so-called critical length. Shorter than that we *pr=
obably* don't need a termination, longer than that we *probably* do need a =
termination.
For *short* traces, the signal levels (and reflections)= stabilize before we
sample the signal level. They stabilize through some c= ombination of
*time*,impedance-driven voltage-divider actions, and driver = *swamping*.
For*long* traces, we sample the signal levels before the signa= l levels
(reflections) stabilize. So, for long traces, we need to control t= hose
reflections. For short traces we do not.

Doug Brooks
http://www.ultracad.com[1]