[SI-LIST] Re: No need of termination within critical length??

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sonu Kurian N.D" <sonukurian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 01:02:39 -0700

In a transmission system you don't want old information interfering with
new information.  Interference occurs when old transitions reflect back
and forth between the driver and receiver.  An ideal infinitely long
transmission line never reflects data.  Matched terminations approximate
the ideal infinite transmission line.  A zero length transmission line
has the same voltage amplitude: that of the driver at its single point
in space.  A sufficiently short transmission line approximates the zero
length case.

Steve.

Sonu Kurian N.D wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am puzzled about why  termination is not required if  trace length is
> less than critical length.
> I read like if a driver encounters a reflected signal when it is
> rising(driving) , its able to absorb reflection.Is it so?
> Or is the situation like ..the reflections will be there..but the Setup
> condition can be met..so we need not worry..??
> Can anyone please throw some light on this..
>
> Many thanks,
> Sonu

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV 89501
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax
http://www.ipblox.com
A Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC Partner

Teraspeed Consulting Group
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Teraspeed Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane
Beaverton, OR 97008
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax
A Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC Partner

http://www.teraspeed.com

This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
IPBLOX LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: