[SI-LIST] Re: Negative Deterministic Jitter

  • From: "Ransom Stephens" <ransom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'SI-LIST'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:32:01 -0700

On dual-Dirac as an approximation:
Since the RJ-dominated tails are the only part of the distribution that are
relevant to calculating TJ from
TJ(BER) = DJ(dual-Dirac) + Q_BER * (rms RJ)
it doesn't matter what the actual DJ distribution looks like.

Something to keep in mind when using that expression for TJ(BER): It's
important that the model-dependent, dual-Dirac DJ be used in the equation.
Generally, DJ(peak-to-peak) >= DJ(dual-Dirac)

The exception is when the tails of the distribution are *not* dominated by
RJ. This occurs when DJ is big enough that the tails are not smooth and RJ
dominated. The worst case is when something like crosstalk puts a bump in
the bathtub plot toward the center of the eye.

Also, we saw at DesignCon in Marty Miller's paper, that at high data rates
(10+ Gb/s) with long test patterns, like PRBS31, DJ becomes
indistinguishable from RJ. You can take this as confusion between what we
think of as RJ and DJ, "a large sum of small effects" --> RJ even if many of
those small effects are DJ, in which case you can't measure DJ with any
accuracy, but it's okay because your RJ sucks it up and it's *really* acting
like RJ so the extra Q_BER factor is warranted. Or you can take it as
evidence that the whole business of separating jitter into different buckets
is corrupt.

Either way, it's worth keeping in mind that there doesn't exist equipment
that can reliably measure or estimate TJ with accuracy better than 10% -- so
don't worry too much about it.

_____________________________
Ransom W. Stephens, Ph.D.
Science & Technology - Content & Analysis

www.ransomsnotes.com

The Sensory Deception - Coming in print, audio, ebook, Aug-6 from 47North,
pre-order now for special low price (and my affection)!
www.amazon.com/author/ransomstephens

measure.ransomstephens.com Measure of Things - Science & Technology blog at
Test & Measurement World: science from the perspective of a technologist,
technology from the perspective of a scientist

Twitting @ransomstephens
LinkedIn, Facebook and all that stuff

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: