[SI-LIST] Re: Need technical ammunition for switching to single ground plane !

  • From: "Townsend, Fred" <ftownsend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gilles.aminot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:47:51 -0700

Hi Gilles:

I'm on both sides on this issue. This is one of the best examples of why
you should never do anything by rote rule. Over the years I have split
many planes without ever having a problem. To be fair I have also closed
splits too. I don't have problems because I analyze every occurrence.

You need to understand what is meant by a return image in a plane and
ground return paths. Often when I am working with someone I will make
paper plots of my traces and have the other person take a pencil and
trace the return paths for all high frequency and all high current
circuits. If that path has a lot of detours I know something is wrong. I
also look at the current loops. If there is a lot of area within the
loop, something is wrong.

The Analog Devices pages you refer to are good references. They offer
good solutions to difficult problems but again, don't do anything
because they tell you to. Understand the problem and you will be able to
make the correct tradeoffs.

As for where to get the basic knowledge, the SI achieves are full of
book reference. Many times the authors of those books are here to answer
specific questions but they can't do it in a general posting here.

Fred Townsend