[SI-LIST] Re: Need some Info on Inductance..

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:50:05 -0800 (PST)

Abhijit-

As you have correctly identified, the definition of an inductance is
dependent on the current return path.

As a first approximation, the inductance of a via consists of the partial
inductance of the via structure plus the partial inductance of the return
path (plus the partial inductances of any parasitics such as shorting
structures) minus twice the mutual inductance between the via structure and
the return path. (assuming the currents in the via and return path are going
in opposite directions)

One might be able to measure the inductance of the complete loop but can't
measure the values of the partial components components of the loop.

What some people are speaking of these days is the 'half loop' inductance
which gives you a number that may or may not bear a whole lot of semblance to
the actual partial inductance of the via structure (depending on the
mutuals), but certainly is closer to it than the value of the entire loop.

-Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems Inc.

>Dear All,
>
>I want to find out more information on via inductance and inductance of
>connector pins.  Specifically, I am confused as to how the inductance of
>such structures is specified/determined.
>
>As an example, when someone says the via/pin inductance is *nH  what is
>their assumption about the current loop?  Am I right in thinking that
>when people talk of via inductance, they actually mean the inductance of
>a closed loop formed by a pair of vias divided by two?  How is L
>typically determined?
>
>Also could someone explain the term partial inductance?
>
>If these questions have been answered earlier, I will be grateful if
>someone can send me the link.
>
>Thank you experts.
>
>Abhijit.

List archives are viewable at: