[SI-LIST] Re: Need help with hspice error

  • From: Kim Helliwell <kimgh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mohammad.ali@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:47:36 -0700

SPICE cannot analyze a circuit that has inductors or
voltage sources in parallel, any combination that
involves a loop of only inductors or voltage sources.
Putting a resistor from the offending node to ground
doesn't break the loop, which is why you didn't fix
the problem by doing that. You have to break the
loop by inserting a resistor in the loop itself. Presumably
you would find it preferable to use a small resistor in
this case.

However, even better would be to analyze whether the
loop is actually necessary and, if not, remove one of the
offending sources.

Unfortunately, these loops can be subtle and difficult to
find if you are using numerous subcircuits containing
sources and connected together. You have to analyze
such situations carefully.

Kim

On Wednesday, August 14, 2002, at 09:30  AM, Mohammad Ali wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running one spice simulation using Avanti HSPICE tool. The
> circuit topology is a differential net consisting of a driver,
> interconnect, and a receiver. I am applying a PRBS data pattern
> (in PWL format) at the input and running the simulation at
> 2.5Gb/s. During the simulation, I receive the following error
>
> **error**:  inductor/voltage source loop found containing 12:vprbsp
>
> where vprbsp is the node where the psbs pulse is applied. I tried
> to add a very high impedance resirtor (10+9 ohms) at this node, but
> did not get any help.
>
> Could anybody explain me where error is coming from and what is the
> approach to resolve this error? Thanks.
>
> -Mohammad Ali
> The information contained in this message may be privileged
> and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
> reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
> employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
> the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
> communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
> this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
> replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.
>
> Thank you.
> Tellabs

> List archives are viewable at:

Kim Helliwell