[SI-LIST] Re: Need advice on basic 6-layer stackup

  • From: "Graham Davies" <GrahamDavies@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:37:27 -0400

Steve,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply to my posting.

OK, you're right, I could be jumping to conclusions that the first board's
problems are cross talk.  You agree it's a bad stackup, so I'm not sure that
getting to the bottom of this is going to help me.

Thanks for confirming that the second stackup is better.  My question,
really, is doesn't this go a bit too far with such a small separation of
signal and plane layers?  For the low-tech parts on this board, shouldn't I
be able to back off a bit and make the traces higher impedance and easier to
drive?

By Cu imbalance, do you mean having two planes close to one side of the
board and only one plane close to the other?  This seems difficult to solve
and still retain three routing layers and two power planes (three with the
duplicate ground planes) in six layers.  The boards I have don't show any
warpage.

When you say "improve the power delivery by swapping layers 3 and 4", that
would be this change:
1 component side signals
2 ground plane
3 inner signals ---> power plane
4 power plane ---> inner signals
5 ground plane
6 bottom side signals
I think I understand this; the vias up from the power plane to the
components would be shorter.  But, when a trace from the top side (where
they all hit the component pads after all) switches to another routing
layer, it would inevitably be a layer referenced to a different return
plane.  This would make it more difficult to provide continuity of the
return path under the trace so keeping things as they are has merit too.

Regarding the trace impedance, I guess I have three problems.  For a 6 mil
trace 3.2 mil above a plane I get a lower figure.  Then, why 50 ohms?  Is
this a magic number.  Finally, for this low-tech board, so I really need to
get into controlled impedance?

Using http://www.emclab.umr.edu/pcbtlc/ as the trace impedance calculator,
selecting Microstrip and specifying a relative permittivity of 4.2, height
of 3.2 mils, width of 8 mils and thickness of 1 oz, I get 41.69 ohms.

Graham.