[SI-LIST] Re: Necessity of Ground signal for RS485 transmission at 500 ft cable length

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <adeelmk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:37:22 -0600

In two widely separated systems earth ground (or neutral) often
varies by many volts, effectively becoming a common mode offset.

You can connect a ground between the systems, however this
wire can definitely conduct large amounts of current! In RS-232
days this connection was often made with a small series resistor
which became a "fusible link" if the grounds were too far apart.

For distant RS-485 transmission try an isolated transceiver ...

                                       Curt

Curt McNamara. P.E.
Senior Electrical Engineer
Logic Product Development
411 Washington Ave. N Suite 101
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Tel 612-436-5178
Fax 612-672-0443
curtm@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.logicpd.com
intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the
taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited