[SI-LIST] Re: Near and far end crosstalk

  • From: "Doug Brooks" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sinnovate88@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 08:03:59 -0700 (PDT)

There are actually two type of coupling, inductive (mutual inductance) and
capacitive. They reinforce each other in the backwards direction (near
end) and 'tend' to cancel in the forward (far end) direction. (They
'exactly' cancel in a stripline environment.) These are the signals of
(typically) opposite sign.

IN ADDITION, unless there is transmission line termination at the near end
of the victim trace, there will be a REFLECTION of the near end signal
that will propagate back to the far end (its sign will depend on the
reflection coefficient.)

We have numerous articles on crosstalk causes and effects at
http://www.ultracad.com

Doug Brooks

 Hello all,
>                I need some explaination in near and far end crosstalk due
> to mutual inductance. One is the driver wire causing
> crosstalk on quite wire due to mutual inductance. Is the
> following statement true:
> "Mutual inductance causes positive waves to appear near the transmitter
> end of the quiet wire (near end inductance) and negative waves at the
> receiver end of the transmission line (far end crosstalk)".
> Why the polarity of crosstalk is different at near and far end?
>
> Thanking you in advance,
>
> Shekh

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at: