[SI-LIST] Near End TDR Measurement/Simulation

  • From: "package_char" <emc_gibney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:00:13 -0000

Hello,

I have measured the near end crosstalk of a pair of open and short
circuited package pins using TDR/T, i have used a setup similar to
the JEDEC set up described in a TDA Systems application note for the
extraction of inductance and capacitance. Previously I extracted a
lumped equivalent circuit model for these pins from s-parameter
measurements and 3D EM simulation. I simulated this model in PSpice
using the same pulse risetime and terminations (open/short) as was
used during TDR measurements and compared the results with my TDR/T
measurements.But the measurements seem to be double in magnitude what
PSpice is giving me.

For example in the case of the open circuit package I am getting a
12mV peak but in Spice I only get 6mV, Is this due to multiple
reflections from the short and open circuits being added together
that is not calculated in Spice?

I am confident with my extracted model, it agrees well with both
measured and EM simulated s-parameters, also the inductance and
capacitance values were calculated using Q3D extractor from Ansoft
and there is good agreement with those values aswell.

Any ideas would be great,

Regards,
Eoin

Eoin Mc Gibney