[SI-LIST] Re: More About Plane Isolation

  • From: Hirshtal Itzhak <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 13:48:44 +0200

Hello Steve,

I'm not sure I understand: My 1st question relied on my recalling (from
University studies a very long time ago) that a metallic mesh with holes
smaller than half the wavelength doesn't allow the wave to go through
it. Does my memory betray me?
Now, if you mean the Bethe hole directional coupling that Yuriy Shlepnev
mentioned, then isn't it a narrow-band phenomenon that is irrelevant to
high-speed digital signals?

Regarding the trace distance from the hole - I surely will not allow it
to go over the hole! My intention is to keep it away as far as possible.
How far is it needed to be? Do you have a rule-of-thumb for that?

One more thing: Does the coupling depend on hole length? And how?

Thanks again,
Itzhak Hirshtal