[SI-LIST] Re: Modelling 25Gb/s pattern generator output

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:35:01 -0400

Martin
Carefully.

The answer is that anything you can do to capture the output of a
pattern generator necessarily "colors" the result, which requires the
following question to be asked:

    * do you want to capture the output of the generator, the cable, or
      the launch point into the PCB?

Different non-trivial "things" have to be done depending on what you
want to model in simulation, and how you care to treat Dj and Rj, since
both, as seen by the system under test (SUT), depend on your
interconnect to the SUT.  LeCroy, Wild River Technologies, and Teraspeed
Consulting covered some of this in our DesignCon 2011 paper "Developing
Unified Methods of 3D Electromagnetic Extraction, System Level Channel
Modeling, and Robust Jitter Decomposition in Crosstalk Stressed 10Gbpsec
Serial Data Systems"

best regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

On 6/17/2011 3:12 PM, Murphy, Martin wrote:
> All,
>
> What is the best way to capture the actual output of a pattern
> generator, in order to generate a realistic model for use with
> simulation tools? The data rate is 25 Gb/s if that is relevant:)
>
> Martin P. Murphy
> Senior Sales Engineer
>
> Tel: (408) 717-1126
> email: martin.murphy@xxxxxxxxxxx