[SI-LIST] Re: Modeling and measurement of power distribution system

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Tegan.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:50:45 -0500

Tegan,

Regarding measurements, the type of instrument depends on what
you want to achieve.  The 8720 VNA covers the 50MHz-20GHz
frequency range.  You may need to use this frequency range for
small structures, connectors, packages, traces carrying Gbps
signals.  The 4195 VNA covers the 10Hz-500MHz frequency
range, and it is excellent for measuring bulk capacitors, DC-DC
converters at very low frequencies.  But you can use it also to
measure planes, bypass capacitors and complete PDNs up to
500MHz.  It has a newer replacement model, 4395, which
covers the same frequency range, but has better dynamic range
(115dB versus 100dB for the 4195).  For medium frequency
range, the 4396 VNA covers the 100kHz-1.8GHz frequencies.
Please note that in the conference papers when I mention the
instrument model, it does not mean any recommendation on
my side, it purely documents of what was used to collect the
particular data.  Several companies offer network analyzers,
and new models come out frequently.  They usually have
improved sweep speed and higher dynamic range.

Regarding simulations, if you are looking for free tools,
as Fabrizio mentioned, you can download Excel spreadsheets
from my website.  On the tool page, the second item from top
handles up to ten different capacitor values.  The sheet with
three capacitor banks has a macro to do real-time statistical
processing.  The fourth and fifth items from the top calculate
the impedances of rectangular bare plane pairs, and plane
pairs with one user-defined capacitor, respectively.  If you
are ready to look into more detailed tools, there is a panel
discussion planned at DesignCon2004, Santa Clara, CA,
where several key OEMs will share their views on PDN
simulation tools (see
http://www.designcon.com/conference/cpanel_0204_415a.html)

Regards,

Istvan Novak