[SI-LIST] Modeling and measurement of Connector

  • From: "Matthias Bergmann" <matthias-bergmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:16:37 +0200

Hello, I would like to pick up the topic which was talked about in august.=

The connector I want to simulate is a round connector with IP67 protection=
,
available with 4 or 8 pins. In industrial environment these kind of connec=
tor
should replace the RJ45-connector which is well known from the office, so
the connector has to be optimized of being able to transfer high data rate=
s for
Industrial Ethernet (100 Mbit/s).

I got the model of the connector from our mechanical design department and=

already managed it to simulate it with CST Microwave Studio 5.1 (frecuency=

range: 0 =AF 250 MHz). But I think there are some fundamental problems:

*   I didn?t model the twisted pair cable (we buy this, I don?t have a mod=
el
    of it and it would be too complex to draw that). Instead I just extend=
ed
    the contacts, pins by drawing cylinder. So two ?cylindrical pipes? for=
    a two-wire transmission line and I defined a port at the origin of thi=
    line for feeding.

*   in reality, and consequently also within measurements, I always have
    to use a cable. Cable and pins are fixed by Crimping, after that
    altogether is injection-molded aorund inserts.

How can I get a correlation between my simulation and measurement ? Is it
possible to include the effect of the cable within the simulation ? Or vic=
e versa
can I gate out the cable by a Fourier transformation in the measurement (I=

heard that this isn?t really reliable) ?
Do you think that a simulation of this connector is possible at all ?

I uploaded some pictures at http://www.geocities.com/m12connector/  to giv=
you a better impression.

Best regards,

Matthias