[SI-LIST] Re: Modeling Cable

  • From: "Ray Anderson" <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:36:28 -0700

Srivats-

Using the physical characteristics on the RG400U data sheet:

http://www.repic.co.jp/contents/products/huber/seihin/rf/pdf/rg400u.pdf

and the procedure describe in the following paper by Richard Wheeler:

http://www.wheeler.com/technology/technicalpaper2/technicalpaper2.pdf

you should be able to synthesize a spice (or other simulator) compatible
model that accounts for loss as well as impedance. With a little thought
you could probable back the RLGC parameters out of the data as well.

If you have access to Agilent LineCalc or the field solver in Hspice (or
other similar field solver) you can create a model from the physical
dimensions and material properties.

Or you could measure the cable with either a VNA or a TDR and synthesize
a model from the measured data (or use the s-parameters directly).

Lots of possibilities, the details are left to the interested
student.....

-Ray

Xilinx Inc.