[SI-LIST] Mode conversion question *** restated

  • From: Doug Brooks <dbrooks9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 10:18:32 -0700

I have received some good replies and had a couple of conversations
off-line (which I appreciate.)
In hindsight, I see that I did not ask the question I have very well.
So let me try it again

Assume I have a differential pair driven by a driver with zero offset.

I will have a signal on that line that is differential mode with no
(or at least zero-value) common mode signal.

Now assume that the line turns 90 degrees (this is NOT a 90 degree
turn question!!) The inside path is shorter than the outside path.
Therefore, immediately beyond the turn there will be an offset in the
two signals. As a result, I will have both a differential mode and a
common mode component to the signal on the trace.

Here is my question: Does the term "mode conversion" describe what
HAS HAPPENED as a result of the turn (resulting in the two
components) or something that is GOING TO HAPPEN after the turn as a
result of the two components? I believe it is the former, but this is
what I am trying to confirm.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Doug Brooks

Check out our resources at  http://www.ultracad.com