[SI-LIST] Mode conversion question

  • From: Doug Brooks <dbrooks9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:00:43 -0700

Assume I have a differential trace pair. Assume there is a slight
offset in the two signals.

My understanding of mode conversion is that the signal pair will
become two components --- an odd mode component and an even mode component.

In trying to understand WHY that happens I have come to believe there
is no physical change in the signals. What we do is MODEL the signals
as two separate components, an odd mode component and an even mode
component, which combine together to equal the actual signal. Thus
mode conversion is a mathematical (and physical) model that allows us
to deal with the analysis, rather than an actual physical phenomenon.

Is my understanding correct here, or am I way off base?

Thanks for your help.

Doug Brooks

Check out our resources at  http://www.ultracad.com

List technical documents are available at: